Drs. Kim Song, Greg Child, Nicole King, and Dawn Thieman have been working hard to prepare pre-service teachers at UMSL. This past August and September, they were the keynote speakers at UMSL’s College of Education Grand Seminars. For nearly 200 pre-service teachers and their course and practicum instructors, they provided professional development on:
- Immigration trends
- The diverse personhood of immigrants and refugees
- Cultural identities as seen and unseen components of an ‘iceberg’
- Raciolinguistic ideologies
- Revising and crafting Content Enhanced Language Objectives
- Implementing translingual and transmodal units
- And more!
Here are some of the comments from the attendees after the reading and discussing these texts:
Also, check out one the translingual and transmodal units that groups created to culminate their learning:
The team anticipates continuing this work in Spring 2022.